Affordable Housing for Adults with Disabilities

How to Find Affordable Housing for Adults with Disabilities in San Mateo County

If you Already Have Housing: 
  1. Connect with organizations that provide supportive services: Several organizations in the County provide services such as vocational training, shopping assistance, benefits counseling, and transportation assistance. Visit SMCconnect to get more information on community services available in San Mateo County. 
  2. Connect with organizations that can help modify homes to make them accessible: If you need assistance to make your home more accessible, contact the Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) at either (650) 645-1780 (phone) or (650) 522-9313 (TTY). 
If you Need Housing:

Because there is not enough housing for adults with disabilities in San Mateo County, you will need to join waiting lists of 1 year to 5 years long. You may join as many waiting lists as you want. In fact, the more lists you join, the higher the chance that you will find something sooner. There are several housing options for adults with disabilities: 

  1. Group Homes: There are group homes available in the County that provide 24-hour care. Contact Kainos Home & Training Center at (650) 363-2423, PARCA at (650) 312-0730, or Golden Gate Regional Center at (650) 259-0189 to inquire about their waiting lists or any available housing. 
  2. Housing Authority Programs: The Department of Housing home page at contains the most up to date information.  Visit often to find out waiting list information or other housing opportunities.
  3. Supportive or Special Needs Housing: Supportive housing is permanent affordable rental housing that provides services to help tenants maintain their housing and gain maximum independence. Because there is not enough housing for people with disabilities, expect to join waiting lists as long as five years. If you would like to live in supportive housing, take the following steps: 
    1. Get a Complete List of Affordable Supportive Housing Developments: Please pick up the list of “Affordable Rental Housing” from the Department of Housing and look for developments that are listed as housing for people with disabilities. 
    2. Make Lots of Phone Calls: a) Using the list of affordable housing in the County, call the contacts (usually the property manager) of supportive housing developments that you are interested in to find out about their eligibility requirements and waiting lists. b) Call affordable housing developers who have supportive developments in San Mateo County. Ask them if they have any open waiting lists at their existing properties; ask if they are building any new projects that will be accepting applications in the future; also ask about joining their “keep informed” list for future projects. c) Call city housing staff to ask if they know of any new supportive housing developments in their city that might be accepting applications in the future; also ask if it is possible to be put on a “keep informed” list. 


COVID-19 Info
Back to Top