COVID-19 & HOUSING
NOTICE: The safety of our clients and staff remains paramount to the San Mateo County Department of Housing. To minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19, Department of Housing/Housing Authority Belmont office and property management offices will be closed to the public until further notice. All non-urgent, non-emergency work orders and annual/biennial housing quality standards inspections will be suspended.
• Recertification, interim changes, and self-sufficiency progress appointments will be conducted by mail or email only; any necessary follow up will be done with a phone interview. Please ensure we have your current contact information.
• In-office as well as inspection appointments will be canceled. Please complete any paperwork that was included in the appointment letter and return it to our office by email/mail as soon as possible. We will notify you if additional documents/verifications are needed.
• To accommodate program participants moving into a new unit, move-in inspections will be conducted via owners’ self-certification. Owners will be asked to self-certify that their units meet Housing Quality Standards, using the Housing Authority Form, https://housing.smcgov.org/document/hqs-inspection. A follow up inspection may be conducted at a later date.
• Reinspection appointments will be canceled. To document correction of a deficiency, landlords will be asked to complete the HACSM self-certification form (see above link) and email the completed form with a photo of the repaired item(s).
To ensure we can promptly respond to your need, please use the following email addresses to submit your inquiry or request. Due to high-volume of inquiries we are receiving, please expect up to 72 hours for a reply.
Inspection, Request for Tenancy Approval, contract rent related: email@example.com
Eligibility, income and family composition change requests: firstname.lastname@example.org
Family self-sufficiency related: email@example.com
Notice to vacate, voucher issuance briefings: firstname.lastname@example.org
After reviewing all the information on the COVID-19 SMC Eviction Regulations page and on the FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions) page, if you still have questions related to COVID-19 and Housing, you can send us an e-mail at email@example.com or you can call us at (650) 363-7873
San Mateo County Emergency Regulation 2020-001, which placed a temporary Countywide moratorium on evictions from residential units for:
(1) non-payment of rent by tenants directly impacted by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic; and
(2) certain no-fault causes unless the eviction is necessary for the health and safety of the tenant, other residents in the tenant's building, the landlord, or the landlord's family.
Below are some of the resources available to those who are impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
For information on AB3088 (State of California Eviction Moratorium): CLICK HERE
For the State's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's): CLICK HERE
For information on the Federal Temporary Halt in Residential Evictions To Prevent the Further Spread of COVID-19 (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS): CLICK HERE
The following organizations, which normally help low-income clients with housing & civil legal issues, can provide information & referral on Housing & COVID-19:
The Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County (CLICK HERE)
Project Sentinel (CLICK HERE)
Please let us know if you have any other COVID-19 questions at firstname.lastname@example.org